By Mohamoud Jama Hamud
OBJECTIVE: Prime Minister of the Federal Republic of Somalia
Goals: Advocate for unification of the Somali communities through a holistic grassroots approach that focuses away from sectarian ideals, which establishes the rule of law and brings forth good governance, free from corruption. Furthermore, the establishment of credible Somali institutions that are competitive on a regional and global scale, which have the principles of the Somali people in mind; as well as the empowerment of women to insure their involvement within the affairs of the Federal Republic.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCEReligion Consultant, 1997- PresentMayo Clinic,Rochester, MN
- Provide support and empowerment to Muslim patients and families to take control of healthcare issues in a holistic assessment.
Co-Founder/Board Member 2010- PresentSTEM Academy (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math),Rochester, MNSTEM is a high school that prepares students for higher learning and professions, in fields such as microbiology, nursing, nanotechnology, computer graphics, software engineering and physics. http://www.rocheststemacademy.orgLecturer 2003- PresentUniversity of Minnesota- Rochester,Rochester, MN
- Taught a linguistic and phonetics course.
Director/Co-Founder 1991- 1996Somali Development and Relief Agency (SDRA),Washington, D.C.
- Responsible for fundraising, identification of International
Organizations to collaborate in project design and implementation.
- Secured funding from United States office of Disaster Assistance
(OFDA) and the African Development Bank (ADB) for theImplementation of Sanaag Water Rehabilitation Project.
- Acted as a coordinator between Medical Care International(MCDI)
And SOMALAID of Geneva.
- Responsible in providing technical and logistic support to the project.
- Promoted effective communication between MCDI/Washington and
Somali Development & Relief Agency/MCDI field staff.
- Monitored and reviewed progress and financial report in compliance
With donor requirements.
- Responsible for setting up training workshops for local project personnel and SDRA field staff in the areas of project design, financial management and reporting. These efforts were meant to sustain the institutional capacity of SDRA and enhance its credibility.
Country Director 1984- 1990Africare,Mogadishu, Somalia/Nairobi, Kenya
- Managed the organization’s development and relief activities
In Somalia and Kenya.
- Responsible for budgeting, financial management, administration,
Procurement, contract negotiations, and reporting functions.
- Supervised staff of over 500 employees and contract expatriate personnel.
- Successfully created a positive tone for Africare’s operations and stimulated
Interest in its goals, objectives, philosophies and resources.
- Established and maintained effective cooperative relationships with high level officials of Somalia’s government, host country planners, local officials, third country and international organization personnel, and representatives of U.S. government and private agencies.
- Elected Chairman of the Association of Voluntary Agencies (AVAS) in Somalia.
- Developed project proposals including budgeting and logistical requirements.
- Secured funding from variety of sources.
- Supervised the implementation of projects.
- Provided technical analyses and program evaluation of project implementation.
- Monitored all operations and projects to ensure their adherence to prescribed plans and goals.
- Participated in the design of the $18 Million PVO partners Project, an umbrella project put together and funded by USAID.
- Represented the Private Voluntary Organization (PVO) community on the committee that reviewed project proposals and made funding decisions.
- Designed and secured funding for 4.5 million project which created water collection systems and self-help projects for more than 200 communities with the use of local people and resources.
- Directed reforestation project in Jalaqasi that was a cooperative effort between local and refugee communities
Fund Administrator/Coordinator 1986- 1989Canadian Embassy Fund for Somalia,Mogadishu, Somalia
- Acted as a Coordinator of the Canadian Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya’s development work in Somalia where it had no representative.
- Analysed, monitored and evaluated funds projects.
- Disseminated information on the availability of Canadian funds, identified projects for funding, and advised eligible organizations on the fund’s policies and procedures.
- Briefed and arranged visits of the Canadian Government officials, consultants and representatives of private organizations.
- This work was conducted simultaneously with Africare cuties with Africare’s approval.
Program Manager/Lead Engineer 1981- 1984Africare,Washington, DC
- Analysed and made recommendations concerning country development strategies, project proposals and other organizational activities in Eastern and Southern Africa.
- Monitored and reviewed progress of projects and their adherence to stated plans and objectives.
- Promoted effective relationships and communication between Washington staff and country teams.
- Assisted in the selection of personnel.
- Served as program Manager for 2.5 million Chama Rice Irrigation Project involving development of more than 320 hectares in Zambia.
Civil Engineer 1980- 1981Arabian Agricultural Systems,Wadi Al Dawasir, Saudi Arabia
- Evaluated and supervised the upgrading of irrigation systems ranging from Centre Pivots to trickle irrigation.
- Assisted farmers in learning modern agricultural methods and adopting them to their needs.
- Served as liaison officer disseminating information between management and local farmers.
Teaching Fellow 1984- 1990King Faisal University,Hafuf, Saudi Arabia
- Taught a surveying and irrigation courses in the Department of Agricultural Engineering.
- Supervised the surveying and land levelling operations for an irrigation project at the university’s newly established research center.
ELECTED OFFICES/ PUBLIC SERVICE:Advisory Board 2000- 2010Good Samaritan Dental Clinic,Rochester, MN Advisory Council 2005- 2010Children, Youth & Family ConsortiumUniversity of Minnesota- Twin CitiesMinneapolis/St. Paul, MNBoard Member 2003- 2005United Way of Olmsted County,Rochester, MNSchool Board Member 2000-2001Rochester Public Schools,Rochester, MN EDUCATION: Public AdministrationSomali Institute of Public Administration, 1972Mogadishu, Somalia BS: Civil EngineeringCornell University 1978Ithaca, NY Project Management Certificate, 1983American UniversityWashington, DCConsultant, Certificate, 1999Mayo Clinic
LANGUAGES: English, Arabic and Somali