Puntland security forces launched crushing attacks on the hideouts of al-Shabaab militants in the Northern coastal province of Nugal on Thursday, killing scores of militants and injuring many more, sources said.
The battle between both sides continued for a second consecutive day as the security forces heavily pounded the militants’ positions in the remote areas of Suuj valley and Bad-qadey village, pastoralists who escaped from the battlefield said.
A Puntland army official who spoke to Horseed Media on condition of anonymity claimed that the forces inflicted heavy losses on the militants.
‘’Our brave forces killed dozens of terrorists in the battle of today and we expect to accomplish this offensive in the coming hours,’’ he said.
He added that two Puntland security forces sustained injuries. The official also said that dead bodies of the militants and prisoners will be displayed to the media soon.
The area is off-limits to journalists, making it impossible to independently verify the accurate information. Mobile network has been offline since the battle erupted.
Clashes between Puntland Security forces and the militants that landed in the area earlier this week from Southern Somalia started yesterday.