Many people hear, the current highly charged and polarized discussion about the DP World contract to Bosaso port with federal state Puntland.
Let’s take with a grain of salt, observing the crocodile’s tears of so-called businessman, who is against the contract between DP World and Puntland Federal state, which further concerns the price increase of Bosaso port on the contract of DP World. Their complaint can be very simple articulated.
Before we go further into the contract of the DP world, let’s answer some relevant questions.
- Do we need (Puntland) the contract and service of DB World?
- What had done better by the current President and his administration?
Does Puntland need the DP World contract? And what can Puntland benefit from DP World contract.?
Very stress-free to reflect the advantages and disadvantages of the DP World engagement:
- A low priced transport of almost 70% less will be realized when the DP World contract been implemented, to compare the current wooden boat transport costs. These were used in the Middle Ages, because container ships will be used instead.
- Goods will be eligible / compulsory to be insured, through the use of container facilities after the contract with the DP World has entered into force, which does not exist for the current situation, when the wooden boats sink in the ocean every year.
- This also means that, on balance, the goods will become cheaper, as people would benefit greatly from the cheap transport costs. But also the possibility that everything that is lost by a sunken boat will be reimbursed through insurance. Instead of the so-called businessman conviction towards the consumer directly or indirectly when the goods have been collectively lost, given how the situation is now.
- Current situation, depending on the limited boats, almost means closure of Bosaso port every year from May to October, due to the aggressive oceanic season. Which ultimately contributes to high cost of transport, because there are even less wooden boats that are resistant to the aggressive Ocean.
- One of the advantages would be to not only relying on transport via Dubai (UAE) or Salala (Oman).
This would sound like music in the ears of many neutral and civilized people. People who do not want to be dependent on the current businessman who are only rulers to bring goods to the port of Bosaso, through connections and cartel formation of boat owners and boat dealers in Dubai and Oman.
Should the DP World container act immediately without the expansion promised, only that would be a nightmares of the businessman to bring Bosaso port containers with container ships, because they will loose the current lordship in no time.
What the current President and his administration could have done better?
- Without a doubt these are the result of ignorance and a lack of leadership concerns President Dr. Abdiwali Ali Gaas and his administration.
- As we have already explained above, it would have been very easy to involve the intentions and vision of the Bosaso port to the population for the benefits and the need to make Bosaso a port that can handle containers.
- On the other hand some opponents have impeding the sign money or the bribe money of 21 million, let everyone take it, as he or she wants to appoint. Unfortunately, they have no problems that President Abdiwali has robbed 100 million for less than three years.
That is going to really disqualify the so-called businessman, especially the motives that they are protesting, because of the will of the people about the DP World to Bosaso port contract.
Puntland needs the modernization of Bosaso port to make container-handling possible. People from Puntland and Somalis in general will benefit:
- Work opportunity especially for professionals
- Cheap commodities such as (Rice, Oil and Sugar) through cheap bulk transport via container ships.
- Attracting other foreign direct investment because they can easily transport goods to the port.
- For example all the positive improvement that are manifesting in Berbera, with similar comparable contract arrangement with DP World Bosaso Port
Certainly, President Abdiwali has armed the opponents and given unnecessary ammunition, given that the opponents have no good intentions for the development of Puntland.
But on the contrary, to be on the move, making use of the lack of involvement and the disapproval of President Abdiwali and his regime to justify their protest and to deceive the population.
So! I would like to say to Puntland people that you do not allow yourself to go crazy and let your emotional temper be abused by so-called moral opponents of Dp World Contract. the truth is somewhere in the middle.
The so-called Businessmen have no eye on your well being except their own interests. We need the port; to help Puntland forward, current era demands a modern and container accessible port.
When the port handles containers, the winners are the people; they receive not only cheap, insured goods but also traceable commodity and goods.
Undoubtedly the current President Abdiwali and his administration failed to inform timely and correctly, the best and obedient majority population of Puntland.
But that does not necessarily mean that minority malicious businessman who can be counted, as a handful can be believed. Businessman standing against every possible succession and progress of Puntland, especially the certain superiority that DP World contract would bring.
Abdi Ali Issa (Gacal)