Puntland state of Somalia
Ministry of Finance
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (REOI)
COUNTRY: Puntland State of Somalia (PSS)
NAME OF PROJECT: Somalia Domestic Revenue Mobilization and Public Financial Management
Capacity Strengthening Project – Phase II
PROJECT ID: P151492 Grant No.: TF-A0388
Assignment Title: Senior Audit Specialist
Reference No.: SO-MOF-PL-106433-CS-INDV
Place of assignment: Garowe, Puntland, Somalia
Publication Date: July 10th, 2019
Deadline: July 31th, 2019
The Puntland State of Somalia has received additional financing from the World Bank through the Ministry of Finance (MoF) toward the cost of Somalia Domestic Revenue Mobilization and Public Financial Management Capacity Strengthening Project II.
The Project Development Objective is to strengthen systems of domestic revenue mobilization, expenditure control and accountability in the Federal Government, Puntland State of Somalia, and Somaliland. The project comprises of the following four components: (i) Strengthening Tax Policy and Inland Revenue Administration systems; (ii) Strengthening Systems for the Public Funds Management, Transparency and Accountability; (iii) Rapid Response Facility; and (iv) Public Financial Management Reform Oversight, Coordination and Management.
The Office Audit General is the Supreme Audit Institution (SAI) of Puntland State of Somalia and is desirous to comply with the International Standards of Supreme Audit Institutions (ISSAI) in good standing. However, we are still striving to have independence and broad audit mandate enshrined in both the Constitution and the Audit Law. According to international best practice and standards, the SAI is supposed to be and should be seen to be independent (operationally, financially and functionally) of the executive arm of government. Similarly, appointment and removal of the Auditor General should be independent and seen to be independent of the executive arm of the government. Although the OAG is established as an autonomous institution by Article 109 of the Constitution of Puntland State, its audit mandate as stated in both the Constitution and the Audit Law is not broad enough and includes responsibilities that the Auditor General is not normally expected to perform; some of the responsibilities are contrary to international practices and standards. The Strategic Plan has included a program of activities for strengthening the independence of the Office AG and broaden audit mandate in line with internationally recognized best practices and the Standards.
The Ministry of Finance intends to apply part of the proceeds of the Grant to hire an Individual Consultant to provide technical assistance to identifies current strengths and weaknesses of current processes and provides feedback to the OAG in prioritizing actions needed to strengthen and streamline current audit methodologies, policies and procedures.
2. Scope of Work and Responsibilities:
The Senior Audit Specialist is expected to support the Office of the Auditor General. This involves carrying out an organizational review to uphold the independence of the Auditor General and implement in the first instance, and to improve general management of professional staff with the aim of enhancing delivery of audit services in accordance with international best practice and standards.
These activities are aimed at strengthening OAG’s own institutional independence and capacity for better delivery of audit services, management of its resources on the one hand and to engage its stakeholders effectively and proactively on the other. A stronger, independent, professionally capable and well-organized Supreme Audit Institution of Puntland will help the Government of Puntland to deliver better services to the citizens and raise the profile of the Office of Audit General of Puntland with its stakeholders. Through an effective and proactive oversight of public finances and other resources by the OAG will contribute towards putting in place a better and stronger public financial management systems to achieve the Strategic Objectives of any Public Financial Management (PFM) system.
3. Selection Criteria:
Selection shall be based on qualification and experience of the candidate and followed by an interview. The minimum qualification, experience and skills should include:
- Must hold Professional Accounting Qualification such as ACCA, CIPFA, CPA or advance degree in Law or an equivalent field.
- At least 15 year’s related experience, 5 years of which must be audit specific working with Supreme Audit Institution
- Significant experience on delivering professional training programme for government employees
- Knowledge of best practices in auditing preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Internal Auditing and Control Standards.
- Knowledge of Puntland and Somalia audit practices, organizations and environment preferred.
- Fully conversant with ISSAIs and IPSAS
- Professional audit training
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of government, officers and field personnel.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to negotiate and communicate with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively design and implement legal capacity building program for government institutions.
- Strong knowledge of legal provisions and best practices relating to legislative review processes. In-depth practical knowledge of legal issues. Analyses complex technical and legal materials and makes concise, relevant recommendations
- Contributes reliable production of legal knowledge products.
- Demonstrated experience working with governments of developing countries including fragile and conflict-affected states.
- Experience working in Somalia is an advantage.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Somali Language will be added advantage
The duration for the assignment is 180 working days, renewable based on satisfactory performance.
The Senior Audit Specialist will report to the Auditor General of Puntland State of Somalia and DRM/PFM Coordinator. In addition, he/she will perform under the overall guidance of the World Bank Task Team Leader(s) for the DRM/PFM Project.
6. The Ministry of Finance now invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested Individual Consultants must submit their Curriculum Vitae (CV)and cover letterindicating that they are qualified to perform the services.
7. The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraphs 3.14, 3.16 and 3.17of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Financing Goods, Works, Non-Consulting and Consulting Services dated July 2016 and revised in November 2017 and August 2018, (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultants Selection method set out in the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations.
8. Mode of submission of Applications and deadline:
Interested applicants may obtain further information including a detailed Terms of Reference from the Ministry in person or by e-mail to the address given below during office hours from 9.00 a.m.– 4.00 p.m. Saturday to Thursday.
The detailed Terms of Refence (TOR) for the assignment can be found at the following website: http://mofpuntland.com or it can be provided upon submission of application in person or by e-mail.
9. Expressions of interest (EOI) and CV must be delivered (in person or by e-mail) in a written form in four (4) hard copies (if not by e-mail) to the address below by 31th July 2019 at 11:00 am (Garowe Time) – marked clearly as – Senior Audit Specialist
10. Attention: Public Financial Management Reform Coordination Unit,
Ministry of Finance, Garowe, Puntland State of Somalia
NB: Female candidates are encouraged to apply.