Puntland state of Somalia
Ministry of Finance
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (REOI)
COUNTRY: Puntland State of Somalia (PSS)
NAME OF PROJECT: Somalia Domestic Revenue Mobilization and Public Financial Management
Capacity Strengthening Project – Phase II
PROJECT ID: P151492 Grant No.: TF-A0388
Assignment Title: Audit Specialist
Reference No.: SO-MOF-PL-106435-CS-INDV
Place of assignment: Garowe, Puntland, Somalia
Publication Date: July 10th, 2019
Deadline: July 31th, 2019
The Puntland State of Somalia has received additional financing from the World Bank through the Ministry of Finance (MoF) toward the cost of Somalia Domestic Revenue Mobilization and Public Financial Management Capacity Strengthening Project II.
The Project Development Objective is to strengthen systems of domestic revenue mobilization, expenditure control and accountability in the Federal Government, Puntland State of Somalia, and Somaliland. The project comprises of the following four components: (i) Strengthening Tax Policy and Inland Revenue Administration systems; (ii) Strengthening Systems for the Public Funds Management, Transparency and Accountability; (iii) Rapid Response Facility; and (iv) Public Financial Management Reform Oversight, Coordination and Management.
The Office Audit General is the Supreme Audit Institution (SAI) of Puntland State of Somalia and is desirous to comply with the International Standards of Supreme Audit Institutions (ISSAI) in good standing. However, we are still striving to have independence and broad audit mandate enshrined in both the Constitution and the Audit Law. According to international best practice and standards, the SAI is supposed to be and should be seen to be independent (operationally, financially and functionally) of the executive arm of government. Similarly, appointment and removal of the Auditor General should be independent and seen to be independent of the executive arm of the government. Although the OAG is established as an autonomous institution by Article 109 of the Constitution of Puntland State, its audit mandate as stated in both the Constitution and the Audit Law is not broad enough and includes responsibilities that the Auditor General is not normally expected to perform; some of the responsibilities are contrary to international practices and standards. The Strategic Plan has included a program of activities for strengthening the independence of the Office AG and broaden audit mandate in line with internationally recognized best practices and the Standards.
The Ministry of Finance intends to apply part of the proceeds of the Grant to hire an Individual Consultant to provide technical assistance to identify strengths and weaknesses of current processes and provides feedback to the OAG in prioritizing actions needed to strengthen and streamline current audit methodologies, policies and procedures.
2. Scope of Work and Responsibilities:
The Audit Specialist will mainly assist the OAG to implement the recently developed different audit manuals such as Regularity Audit Manual. Compliance Audit Manual, Performance Audit Manual and IT Audit Manual, by using the newly adapted Audit Applications called TeamMate Audit Management and TeamMate Analytics. With the help of the Senior Audit Specialist, the Audit Specialist will schedule and deliver training programs to the OAG staff on how to implement these manuals, handhold the staff by providing on-the-job trainings and guide them through the process of transforming the OAG office from manual system to the new automated audit system.
3. Selection Criteria:
Selection shall be based on qualification and experience of the candidate and followed by an interview. The minimum qualification, experience and skills should include:
- Must hold a Professional Accounting Qualification such as ACCA, CIPFA, CPA with at least 2 years post qualification experience
- At least 5 year’s related experience, 3 years of which to be audit specific working in Public Audit roles
- Proven experience in delivering audit trainings
- Must have a good experience in TeamMate Audit Management and TeamMate Analytics applications as the OAG will be using these systems in most of its audit assignments
- Knowledge of best practices in public auditing is must.
- Advanced knowledge of Auditing and Control Standards.
- Knowledge of Puntland and Somalia audit practices, organizations and environment is highly preferable.
- Fully conversant with ISSAIs and IPSAS standards
- Professional audit trainings
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of government, officers and field personnel.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to negotiate and communicate with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in supervising and working with others
- Both English and Somali Languages are required for this position;
- Experience working in Puntland Audit General Office is an advantage.
The duration for the assignment is 360 working days, renewable based on satisfactory performance.
The Audit Specialist will report to the Auditor General of Puntland State of Somalia and DRM/PFM Coordinator. In addition, he/she will perform under the overall guidance of the World Bank Task Team Leader(s) for the DRM/PFM Project.
6. The Ministry of Finance now invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested Individual Consultants must submit their Curriculum Vitae (CV)and cover letterindicating that they are qualified to perform the services.
7. The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraphs 3.14, 3.16 and 3.17of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Financing Goods, Works, Non-Consulting and Consulting Services dated July 2016 and revised in November 2017 and August 2018, (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultants Selection method set out in the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations.
8. Mode of submission of Applications and deadline:
Interested applicants may obtain further information including a detailed Terms of Reference from the Ministry in person or by e-mail to the address given below during office hours from 9.00 a.m.– 4.00 p.m. Saturday to Thursday.
The detailed Terms of Refence (TOR) for the assignment can be found at the following website: http://mofpuntland.com or it can be provided upon submission of application in person or by e-mail.
9. Expressions of interest (EOI) and CV must be delivered (in person or by e-mail) in a written form in four (4) hard copies (if not by e-mail) to the address below by 30th July 2019 at 11:00 am (Garowe Time) – marked clearly as – Audit Specialist
10. Attention: Public Financial Management Reform Coordination Unit,
Ministry of Finance, Garowe, Puntland State of Somalia
NB: Female candidates are encouraged to apply.